Selected Items[Remove All]

Available Items[Add All]

Student Employment Home
Find a job
Important Policies for Employers and Students
Job Planner
Federal Work Study (FWS) Eligibility at Bowdoin College
Payroll Information
Resources & Links
Contact Us
Log Out

International Student Employees and Working On Campus at Bowdoin

Off Campus Employment:

Generally, at Bowdoin, international students are limited to working on-campus. If you are interested in an off-campus employment opportunity, all international students must schedule an appointment with the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs and the Student Employment Office prior to accepting or beginning any off-campus employment (this includes internships related to the student’s academic program or unpaid volunteer work).  Federal regulations governing off-campus employment are very strict and failure to comply with them can jeopardize the student’s immigration status.  In most cases, off-campus employment must be directly related to the student’s program of study listed on the I-20 (F-1 students) or DS-2019 (J-1 students).

On-Campus Employment:

International students may work on campus both during the academic year and the summer. However, they are restricted by their student visa to a maximum cumulative total of 20 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week during breaks (Thanksgiving, winter break, spring break, and summer break).

In order to be eligible to work on campus at Bowdoin, you need to follow the steps listed below. If you have any questions, please contact Bowdoin’s Office of Student Employment or the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs.

To begin:
1. Visit the Student Employment Office website (, and apply for on-campus jobs. Please note that you CAN NOT work until you have completed steps 1-5.

2. Once you receive a job offer from an employer, ask your supervisor to submit a completed International Student Employee Data Sheet (note: Mac users should use Adobe Acrobat or Reader, and not Preview to complete this form) to the Manager of Student Employment and Associate Director of Student Affairs/International Student Advisor, Michael Wood, This form provides us with proof of intent to hire and the terms of your eventual employment. These terms should include:
•    A brief description of the job, including the job title
•    Nature of the student’s job
•    Approximate employment start date
•    Number of hours the student will be working and rate of pay
•    The supervisor’s name and telephone number

The Manager of Student Employment and the International Student Advisor. will each provide you with a letter verifying your employment on-campus. These letters are required for step 3.

3. Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN). (If you already have a US Social Security Number, contact the Manager of Student Employment to learn if you can skip this step.) Take the two letters from the Manager of Student Employment and the International Student Advisor, your passport with I-94 card, and your I-20 to the Social Security Administration Office in Portland. (Students with a J-1 visa should consult with us about additional documents you may need.) The International Student Advisor will arrange van trips to the Social Security Office in mid-September.  Email Michael Wood at to reserve a spot.  If you are applying for a SSN during another time of the year, you will need to get to the office on your own. More information about the social security card application can be found here. Directions to the Social Security Administration office at 550 Forest Avenue in Portland, Maine can be found here.

 4. After completing step 3, contact the Controller’s Office to complete the Glacier process (an online program that assists Bowdoin with administering international employee documentation). Here’s how:
•    Send an email to Robin Saindon( in the Controller’s Office indicating that you would like to work on campus.
•    She will send you an email (subject line – Payment from Bowdoin College), which includes a link to a web application named Glacier; this application assists us in determining if you are eligible for a tax treaty benefit.
•    Once you’ve completed the Glacier process, schedule an appointment with Robin Saindon to complete your I-9; she will review your documents, obtain copies of your travel documents (Passport, DS-2019, I-94, VISA sticker, etc.), and assist you in signing the appropriate documents.
After you have completed the steps above:

5. Your supervisor officially must hire you through the Student Employment website. Before you begin work, request training for our automated time and attendance system, TimePro, from your supervisor or the Student Employment Office.

Now that you have completed steps 1-5, you can begin working at Bowdoin.

6. If you are eligible for your country’s tax treaty benefits, annually renew the tax treaty benefit Form 8233. You will receive an email reminder (from Glacier) in December. Do not ignore the email reminder; it is important. By not renewing the tax treaty form, you will be subject to federal and state income taxes.

7. Expect to receive an earnings/taxes statement (W-2 and/or 1042S) in late January. The W-2 will be delivered to your SU box; the 1042s will be sent electronically via Glacier. Easily file your tax return using CINTAX tax preparation software (via Glacier).